Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Early Work

So before I was ever exposed to any serious art classes,  my main form of "art" was through paint by numbers, puzzles, and those little kindergarten art class that everyone did.  A lot of my friends used to draw and make funny sketches during church, physics classes, and other random boring times.  It wasn't until my last year in high school, that I actually sat down and took the time to try and draw something.  The picture to the left was my first "real" drawing.  To me the feeling of drawing a picture is like breaking down something to its smallest parts and then building it back up.  I put in a lot of time trying to get the proportions and shading just right.  The feeling of finally finishing a picture was so good that I had to do it again, and later drew this:

These pictures were the first seeds I had of being an artist.  2 years later during my Sophomore year in College, I decided to just try an art class to see if I would like it.  My first assignment was a project dealing with lines and elements of design and composition.  The picture to the right is what I came up with.
It was just a simple assignment, but if you knew how long it took me to do this piece, you would have known then how much I loved creating art.  My professor was Thomas Morphis and I took many classes from him.  He had the biggest part in shaping me as an artist.  And as I look back on things this simple assignment changed my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment